Re: default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Les Mikesell wrote:
And is this documented as being supported?

Supported?  Beats me.  It's certainly documented:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/ch-upgrading-system.html

A tool like this might be the friendliest long term solution if you could design something that would do a backup of your existing system to an external drive or a network destination in a format that could either be used to restore the existing system or as the source for migrating users, data, and non-packaged applications (i.e. your /opt and /usr/local/) back into a freshly installed newer version. That would require some additional space somewhere but could be pretty flexible and would eliminate any partitioning dependencies.

Sounds good to me. Not sure that this resolves the original poster's situation/suggestion though.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx