Re: default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Valent Turkovic wrote:
You are right, but if you have read other branches of this thread you will see that some good ideas have come forth. Like not making /home separate if free space <15GB and some similar ones.

Given that with each successive release, Fedora packages take more space and people install more software, eventually whatever you set aside for / is going to run out of room. Is everyone really reinstalling from scratch so often that cutting your disk space in half is a good idea?

Also there are some have found a solution to that with "maintainance" mode to chich you boot into... and that ideas are also being refined in this thread.

Ok, here's an idea: Don't format / when you reinstall. There's a number of ways you can do this:

1) Use the upgrade option.

2) Have anaconda selectively rm -rf, leaving directories like /home, /var/lib/xen and so forth alone.

3) Use LVM/Ext3 resizing to salvage /home when doing the format.

4) Have a backup system that you can restore from.

I agree that there are technical challenges to overcome and my vote is always to try to overcome then than to leave them unresolved.

Adding another partition will create social and technical challenges- more than it solves. What do you do when you outgrow / but /home has space? What do you do when the reverse happens? Will your average user have a positive experience doing that? I may not be the typical use case, but between non-Fedora software under /opt and many GB of xen images under /var, this sort of default would be a real hindrance for me.

The only solid technical argument I can think of for a separate /home is to provide encryption for that volume. Even then, that assumes a certain crypto mechanism and only files under /home are worth encrypting (which may not be true).

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx