Re: default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Brendan Conoboy wrote:
Valent Turkovic wrote:
of view.  I explained why separate /home and not other partitions like
/var and others... did you read my initial post?

Er, yes, your original post asked why there wasn't a separate /home by default. In turn, I've asked why there should be one. Thusfar I've read:

1. To make wiping and reinstalling easier.

2. To keep / from running out of space by user activity.

Was there anything else?

Reasons against changing the default:

1. You end up with a smaller /, possibly too small.

2. You end up with a smaller /home, possibly too small.

You are right, but if you have read other branches of this thread you will see that some good ideas have come forth. Like not making /home separate if free space <15GB and some similar ones.

3. Rebalancing the two is complicated and can't be done online.

Also there are some have found a solution to that with "maintainance" mode to chich you boot into... and that ideas are also being refined in this thread.

There are technical challenges to overcome on both sides of the default behavior. I usually upgrade as opposed to doing a new install, so this reason doesn't really mesh with necessity for me. Also, some will have a shared /home making any space allocated to /home go to waste.

I agree that there are technical challenges to overcome and my vote is always to try to overcome then than to leave them unresolved.

Valent.