Re: default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Matthew Miller wrote:
Sure -- law of the universe: data expands to fill available storage. This is
inevitable with one big messy partition too.

With one big "messy" partition it happens later. No partitioning scheme is going to solve that problem :-)

In half? How are you doing this, exactly?

Hypothetical distribution. Lets say I have a dual boot system with an 80GB drive, half for Windows, half for Linux. A 20GB / leaves 20GB for /home.

The bottom line is that when you carve out a separate /home from / you run out of space faster, no matter how good your heuristic is for a certain amount on / and a certain amount on /home. If somebody can put forth a mechanism where this isn't true, my objection to a separate /home is likely to vanish.

Yeahhhh, not always viable.

Upgrades aren't always viable, but it's often an option.

2) Have anaconda selectively rm -rf, leaving directories like /home, /var/lib/xen and so forth alone.

Not pretty, but an interesting suggestion.

Indeed, I only see two problems with it:

1. It's slow.

2. There's a lesser guaranty of file system integrity. You can fsck before and after, but that goes back to problem 1.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx