Re: long term support release

Horst H. von Brand wrote:

Here's the reason: you have a new computer with hardware supported in
fedora but not the current RHEL/Centos release -

Lack of care when buying a machine can't be cured by the distribution.

What do you mean 'lack of care'? I buy hardware based on price and capability, then pick an OS that will run on it. I can't afford to do it the other way around.

                                                 or you need some
software feature provided in the newer fedora apps so you install
fedora.

I was perfectly happy with RH 6.2, and most of what I do now I could do
there, so this can't really be an issue.

There were horrible problems in 6.2 - I find it hard to believe that anyone could have been happy with it. If you had said 7.3 I might have gone along with this line.

         A year passes and you've installed an assortment of
additional apps and perhaps written some of your own.

Upgrade to next Fedora. Gets easier each time around. A bit of foresight
when installing originally helps much here.

Sorry, been there, done that, and I'm not buying it. Installing a new fedora version is entirely unpredictable.

                                                    Everything you
need is working nicely, but now your security updates end.  Your 'some
old code set' description doesn't quite match what people care about -
they want a code set that meets certain needs and once that is
installed and working they don't care if a prettier new version with
new bugs happens to be available.  But people will be installing that
on new computers or new situations where they need a feature.

If they care for "working indefinitely" they aren't into "mint-fresh
hardware" nor into "bleeding-edge software". This scenario isn't at all
realistic.

If you don't use any new hardware or features I don't think you qualify as an expert on realistic scenarios. Pretty much every computer I've used has gone though exactly that evolutionary process where, when I first set it up I've got nothing to lose and don't mind experimenting with latest/greatest software. Then as dependencies accumulate and I've got time and effort invested in a working system, I'm less and less inclined to use it for someone else's beta testing.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx