Re: Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

David Zeuthen wrote:
On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:17 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
And the interesting thing is it looks like /dev/sdX will 'stay stable' as the way its done after that change. Change happens. :)

I wouldn't put my money on it.. maybe it's stable (for some definition
of the word) now, probably not in a few years.

(Interestingly enough, one price Fedora pays for this so-called
stability is that booting is somewhat slower, e.g. crap like
scsi_wait_scan.ko)

The sdX names never were related to hardware in the same sense as the hdX ones were so 'stay stable' is an odd term. If you know the controller and drive select you knew the hdX name. The sdX names have always been whimsically assigned depending on what else happens to be present. There's nothing you can see to relate the name to a physical device.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx