Re: f8 gripe#2: why did f8's pm-hibernate regress?

nodata wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 03.01.2008, 13:23 -0500 schrieb Jesse Keating:
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:45:16 +0100
nodata <lsof@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't know why people keep saying this. Vista boots fast and is
responsive.

lol.

Not on my brand new shiny Dell M1330.  2 gigs of ram, a fast core2duo
cpu, and Vista was very slow to boot up (win2k speeds...) and once
booted and I logged in it was another long wait for everything to
settle down.  Even then it was pretty unresponsive.

Mine boots in about 45 seconds, and then I launch putty and get on with
some work. Are you running something heavyweight?

To be completely fair to microsoft, I'll admit that my issues may also be heavily influenced by sony's participation in the spin of vista that came with my laptop.

Also, my point was more about *first impressions* the user has with an OS. I imagine that once vista has had a day to churn on my laptop after fresh install/factory-recover, that it will boot much faster, and be more responsive more quickly.

But when a new user buys a laptop like mine, turns it on for the first time, and logs in the first time, it quite seriously has HOURS of high IO churn that it needs to get through. As a result, a users first experience with the OS, is at its worst. Not a great design tradeoff choice IMO.

Which really makes no sense, as a factory recover shouldn't need to precompute anything or build any initial databases that are going to be exactly the same on every other piece of identical hardware. But yet, that seems to be what is happening...

-dmc