Re: rsyslog is in F8

Mike Chambers wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 10:04 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

Daemons do a condrestart in their %post, not a start.

I guess you could conceivably do something kind of painful like if service sysklogd status == running
     service sysklogd stop
     service rsyslog start

But I'm not 100% certain that the ordering of package install/remove on
an obsolete makes this even feasible

rsyslog could still do the condrestart (or restart) couldn't it?  I do
it (mostly just out of me doing it all the time no matter what) anyway
even if the daemon isn't running.  It just fails on stop, then ok's on
start after it's running.
If sysklogd fails on stop it is not necessarily OK to start rsyslog. Maybe the admin decided to try syslog-ng, but did not remove sysklogd. Trying to start rsyslog while syslog-ng would fail. And would be a useless thing to do.

Anyway, as it has already been pointed /etc/init.d/rsyslog defaults to enabled (from Peter's message I have understood that the opposite was true and at the time I did not check the sources), so the service will be started after reboot. Seems almost OK to me (except for a potential conflict with other daemons like sysloh-ng, but that's already food for real admins)