Re: rsyslog is in F8

Peter Vrabec wrote:

It obsoletes sysklogd, so sysklogd in not running anymore and is erased
after update. Note, that rsyslog won't start automatically. You need to
do #service rsyslog start,(or restart the box). This problem should be
solved by anaconda during upgrade from FC->F8.
What happens if I upgrade using yum?
You won't have running system log daemon until you restart the system or
run service rsyslog start manually.
I'd say that since sysklogd is erased, rsylogd should be automatically
enabled and started. Yes, I know the packaging recommendations, but I
think that in this case an exception should be accepted.

I agree, but I don't know any nice and secure way we can do it.
shipping an /etc/init.d/rsyslog with default options set to enabled + service rsyslog start in %post is not OK ?
Since we replace sysklogd in rawhide and rsyslogd will be installed during fresh
F8 installation I don't see this is a big problem.
You make the assumption that rawhide users will know about the replacement and activate rsyslogd manually. I bet most of them will blindly do yum -y update <insert your favorite other options here> and cry afterwards. Do not assume that they are subscribed to fedora mailing lists. Most of them are not. Or at least almost none of those I personally know in the RLUG community, to be more correct.