Re: Early adopting EPEL 10 in Fedora Copr?

Hello Michael,

On pátek 16. srpna 2024 11:31:15, SELČ Michael J Gruber wrote:
> Pavel Raiskup venit, vidit, dixit 2024-08-16 11:06:21:
> > On čtvrtek 15. srpna 2024 17:02:30, SELČ Michael J Gruber wrote:
> > > Neal Gompa venit, vidit, dixit 2024-08-15 16:14:30:

> > Don't you have a documentation link for this?

> > > I think we're mixing "mock core config name" and "copr chroot name" in
> > > this dicussion.
> >
> > One of the things Copr tries to do is to use mock-core-configs as-is
> > (unchanged);  while the previous epel-N chroots were tricky, the change
> > Neal mentioned seems to fix this!
>
> We're on the same board here!
>
> > > epel-7-x86_64.cfg is the latest epel-* mock config I see in /etc/mock.
> > > Everything else is explicit (centos-stream+epel, rhel+epel, ...).
> > >
> > > The copr chroots epel-* etc always made me look twice what they actually
> > > are. Even switching the meaning "in between" makes it only.
> >
> > Indeed, this is tricky.  Another best effort Fedora Copr goal was to
> > be as close to Fedora Koji as possible.  So if Koji builds particular
> > EPEL-N against {RHEL,CentOS,CentOS Stream}+EPEL, Fedora Copr (and
> > mock-core-configs, too) wants to do the same thing (even though by
> > default an official released set of packages is used instead of
> > pre-release official buildroot).
>
> Yep!
>

> > > And I really think epel-* makes no sense since it's always "+" to
> > > something. EPEL guidelines spell out what is the official base distro
> > > for which EPEL (next or what not). That is something we could add next
> > > to the respective chroot in copr (just like the current remarks there).
> >
> > The 'epel-10' chroot in Copr and mock-core-configs makes sense for
> > user's convenience, and I believe we want to have it.  That's NB also
> > the default "dnf copr enable" choice on Enterprise Linux machines.
>
> In mock-core-configs probably, because users don't have to look up which
> config is "for epel-9", e.g., or which release is "rawhide".
>
> But there's a difference betwen mock and copr here:
> - If I built in mock f41 (last week) which is a link to rawhide I in
>   fact used the rawhide buildroot etc, not a copy of it. (disttag f41,
>   and methinks rawhide should link to f41, not vice versa, but that's a
>   different issue)

There was no f41 chroot in Copr until now (enabled them ~5 minutes ago,
you reminded me to do so, thanks!).

In a local mock build, yes.  The latest `mock-core-configs` update
https://rpm-software-management.github.io/mock/Release-Notes-Configs-41.1
did the change.

> - If I build in mock against chroots for linked mock configs I have
>   separate buildroots and builds.
>
> I don't think we want the latter, but I may be wrong.

We do not enable the symlinked chroots in Copr, actually.  So this
should be fine?  I'm not sure I 100% understand your concern, so please
elaborate.

> > Can you give me the corresponding link to the EPEL guidelines?
>
> I'm not sure whether the target base info is technically part of the
> policy in the policy page, but that's what I was thinking of:
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/epel/epel-policy/#_policy

Thanks.  It should document EPEL 10, too.  Requested here:
https://pagure.io/epel/issue/290

Pavel