Re: Early adopting EPEL 10 in Fedora Copr?

Pavel Raiskup venit, vidit, dixit 2024-08-19 08:24:44:
> Hello Michael,
>
> On pátek 16. srpna 2024 11:31:15, SELČ Michael J Gruber wrote:
> > Pavel Raiskup venit, vidit, dixit 2024-08-16 11:06:21:
> > >
> > > The 'epel-10' chroot in Copr and mock-core-configs makes sense for
> > > user's convenience, and I believe we want to have it.  That's NB also
> > > the default "dnf copr enable" choice on Enterprise Linux machines.
> >
> > In mock-core-configs probably, because users don't have to look up which
> > config is "for epel-9", e.g., or which release is "rawhide".
> >
> > But there's a difference betwen mock and copr here:
> > - If I built in mock f41 (last week) which is a link to rawhide I in
> >   fact used the rawhide buildroot etc, not a copy of it. (disttag f41,
> >   and methinks rawhide should link to f41, not vice versa, but that's a
> >   different issue)
>
> There was no f41 chroot in Copr until now (enabled them ~5 minutes ago,
> you reminded me to do so, thanks!).
>
> In a local mock build, yes.  The latest `mock-core-configs` update
> https://rpm-software-management.github.io/mock/Release-Notes-Configs-41.1
> did the change.
>
> > - If I build in mock against chroots for linked mock configs I have
> >   separate buildroots and builds.
> >
> > I don't think we want the latter, but I may be wrong.
>
> We do not enable the symlinked chroots in Copr, actually.  So this
> should be fine?  I'm not sure I 100% understand your concern, so please
> elaborate.

Mutual misunderstanding, I guess ;-)

What I meant was the following: Say we have two mock configs A and B
which are "the same" (one links to the other), such as:

- fedora-rawhide and fedora-42 (as of now)
- epel-7 and centos+epel-7 (now in eol)

Then local builds would use one buildroot for both A and B. OTOH, if
copr offers A and B, then this would create 2 chroots and different
builds.

I (mis?)-understood your suggestion as having both A and B in copr in
such cases. My suggestion was to offer, say, A only (not B) in copr and
have "this is the same as B" as a description.

Looking at current state, we have for example:
- mock core config: rhel+epel-9 (but no epel-9)
- copr: epel-9 with description "Builds are done against RHEL + EPEL."
  (but no rhel+epel)

So, if A="rhel+epel-9" and B="epel", we have A in mock core config (but
not B) and B in copr with description "same as A". I guess it's almost
what I suggest (with a mock config link from B to A missing).

Note that the status quo is different for centos-stream-9:
- mock core config: centos-stream-9, centos-stream+epel-9, centos-stream+epel-next-9
- copr: centos-stream-9, centos-stream+epel-next-9

Cheers
Michael