Heads-up: abseil-cpp 20240722.0 coming to F42/Rawhide and F41/Branched

In one week (2024-08-25), I plan to update the abseil-cpp package to 20240722.0[1] (Abseil LTS branch, July 2024) in F42/Rawhide and F41/Branched. This release breaks ABI with an SONAME version bump, and there are some small breaking API changes documented in the upstream release notes[2].

An impact check in COPR did not reveal any problems[3].

I will use side tags for the update, and I will rebuild the following dependent packages, using provenpackager privilege if necessary, unless someone asks me not to:

- bloaty
- buildbox
- credentials-fetcher
- CuraEngine_grpc_definitions
- fastnetmon
- fcitx5-mozc
- frr
- grpc
- ilbc
- libarrow
- libphonenumber
- mozc
- onnxruntime
- parlaylib
- plasma-dialer
- re2
- webrtc-audio-processing

In order to rebuild fastnetmon, I will first merge https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fastnetmon/pull-request/1 if it is still open.

In order to rebuild fcitx5-mozc, I will first merge https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fcitx5-mozc/pull-request/5 if it is still open.

I will not rebuild the following package because it already fails to build from source, and the fix is not immediately obvious – unless of course someone fixes it before I ship the update:

- spacebar

I’m aware that the latest re2 update has introduced indirect dependencies on on abseil-cpp to any packages that use re2. I made sure to double-check that my queries were correct, and the above list includes those packages. This will apply to qt5-qtwebengine if it is fixed and has a successful rebuild, so if that happens before I update abseil-cpp, I’ll rebuild qt5-qtwebengine too.

A couple of the listed packages *might* not link any Abseil libraries from anything included in their binary RPMs, but I’d rather rebuild them unnecessarily than miss something I should have rebuilt. The following packages were found to have spurious/unnecessary BuildRequires on abseil-cpp-devel, and will *not* be rebuilt:

- qmlkonsole: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/qmlkonsole/pull-request/3

Maintainers of affected packages should have received this message directly.

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/abseil-cpp/pull-request/22

[2] https://github.com/abseil/abseil-cpp/releases/tag/20240722.0

[3] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/music/abseil-cpp/packages/