Re: Fedora & AI Survey Now Live Until July 16th

On Tue, Jul 02, 2024 at 11:09:15AM +0100, Luis Correia wrote:
> I get that all conversations about AI/ML are controversial (at best)
>
> But I have just realised that there's even another, and worst, point of
> you can say that Fedora Council has already decided on using AI/ML going
> forward and only wants to know where implementing priorities will go...
>
> Hope this isn't the case!

We want to genuinely get a picture of the views of our contributor and user
communities. The intention certainly isn't to make a "push poll" that gives
slanted results.

That said, we want it to reflect the real world, not an abstract realm. And:

* We already have tools in Fedora that can and will be used for AI/ML (both
  in general and specifically -- from GPU accelerators to PyTorch). This is
  part of the "field of use" aspect of free and open source software
  licensing.

* Upstream projects that we package are going to make different decisions
  than we are. I do not think we can possibly police all upstream software
  and content to wall off anything where generative AI has been used in some
  way.

* We already DO have Fedora teams experimenting with and using AI/ML; for
  example, to help evaluate OpenQA test results. (See this talk from Flock
  last year:
  https://flock2023.sched.com/event/1Or2N/using-aiml-to-process-automated-test-results-from-openqa)

* We _are_ using AI/ML features on Discourse. (With some caution -- only
  using hosted-by-our-hosting-provider models with open source licenses,
  like Mixtral.) For example, this provides auto-captioning for images in
  forum posts, and we're looking at adding translations too.

Now, if "we need to shut all of this down" is a widespread view, I certainly
would like to hear that. I don't want the poll to exclude any position. But
at the same time, I think it's clear that the status quo at this point is
"there is some AI in some places".

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>