Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

Dne 21. 06. 24 v 18:27 Stephen Smoogen napsal(a):
On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 at 07:27, Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So what is the reason to not treat x86_64_v2 as different arch then
x86_64_v{1,3}. Why we keep having this discussion instead of fire one
more build? Users would need to choose v1 / v2 / v3 ISO but what else?

I can think of three problems which would need to be dealt with

1. Resource limitations in infrastructure hardware. You are going to
add to the amount of builds on 1 set of hardware which is already
doing x86_64 and i686. You are going to add to the storage issues that
Fedora Infrastructure has to juggle on the maximum 100TB koji
partition (with 90TB causing some amount of degradation) due to extra
packages and composes.
2. Resource limitations in infrastructure staff. Fedora Infra is doing
more with less and each additional architecture and focus increases
that load.
3. Resource limitations on packagers. Packagers will need to add yet
another bug set to cover and determine "is it only on VX" or not.

Yes, understandably. But are there technical limitations?

BTW I guess that e.g. some sort of inheritance reduce the amount of needed HW.

Vít