Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

Dne 12. 06. 24 v 19:14 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 4:00 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 9:55 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 09:51:34AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 8:41 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IOW, if [when] we rebase Fedora to the next QEMU upstream release, users
with older x86_64 hardware would likely be unable to run QEMU, from F41
onwards, unless some TBD action is taken.

Thus I'm wondering whether Fedora has any policy or guidance on handling
such a situation both in general, and more specifically for "critical path"
packages, if that difference is relevant ? The packaging guidelines aren't
especially explicit about this situation, unless I've missed something
beyond the "compiler flags" and "architecture support" sections.

Absent a project-wide decision to move to the newer baseline, I think
the best approach we can take would be to find some way to communicate
to the user that the software isn't usable. In the case of Qemu, does
the application report an error or crash if it's run on hardware
without the requisite baseline?
I've not tested, but I would expect it to crash attempting to execute an
illegal instruction

OK, that's a situation that will lead to annoying and unresolvable bug
reports. Would it be possible to put something in place that would
check processor capabilities early in execution before hitting any of
the affected instructions?
Build the package as x86_64_v2 instead of x86_64.

Not lying about the architecture will ensure that we don't bypass
RPM's own compatible architecture check.

So what is the reason to not treat x86_64_v2 as different arch then x86_64_v{1,3}. Why we keep having this discussion instead of fire one more build? Users would need to choose v1 / v2 / v3 ISO but what else?

Vít