Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On 6/20/24 2:27 PM, Björn Persson wrote:
Stephen Gallagher wrote:
On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 11:52 AM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Once upon a time, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
three) and recommend creation of a Fedora "Hardware Life Extension"
Remix that can provide rebuilds of (a subset of) Fedora that they want
to run on ancient hardware.
TBH I feel that approach would be doomed to the same failure as the
attempts to extend Fedora life-cycles.  There's enough people that would
want it, but not necessarily the critical mass needed to do the work to
make it happen.
That's kind of my point. If people want something, but aren't willing
to put any effort into it, why do they expect that the rest of the
Fedora community will do it for them?
I think most users would find it easiest to switch to Debian or some
other distribution. There are probably rather few people with a great
need to run Fedora and nothing else on their not-quite-high-end
computers.

I think most users don't have the technical know-how, or the time to dedicate to taking care of packages. If they are already stuck with a not-really-new computer, chances are they are not someone with the privilege of hours upon hours of free time to handle this stuff.

And its a reasonable assumption that even those who fit that bill might just find it easier to jump ship if they don't have a need for fedora, like you said, Björn. After all, I choose fedora on my personal machine because there are a lot of people paid to maintain my stuff working. If that stops being true, I'd probably just stop using fedora.

--
Cheers,
Guinevere Larsen

Björn Persson