Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 8:49 AM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > I don't think Peter meant additional packages since with the i686 it
> > didn't mean that. What it did mean was having to understand why two
> > architectures might do things differently and why bugs might show up
> > in one but not another.
>
> In the i686 days, that was essentially THE second architecture for the
> bulk of packagers.  Now we have Fedora on multiple really separate
> architectures, I don't feel the difference between x86_64-v1 and -v2 is
> such a big deal (as compared to x86_64 vs. aarch64 for example).
>
> I'm not saying there's not a potential for issues exclusive to one
> x86_64 level, but it seems like a small area in comparison.
>
> I think this needs to be decided for Fedora as soon as practical; while
> it'd be nice to keep the baseline at -v1 (I'd still like to see some
> more concrete "these CPU models are -v1" list), I also would prefer
> optimum performance e.g. from my VMs (and everything I have is at least
> -v2, most are -v3, and one is -v4).  Even just bumping the baseline to
> -v2 won't enable some useful things like AVX2, so I think it makes sense
> to look more at enabling a multi-level approach (e.g. like the i386/i686
> days with targeted packages built for multiple).

Honestly, I'd like to pitch that we retarget Fedora at x86_64-v3 (yes,
three) and recommend creation of a Fedora "Hardware Life Extension"
Remix that can provide rebuilds of (a subset of) Fedora that they want
to run on ancient hardware. It could be something similar to Fedora
ELN, where a subset of the main repo that might be useful on old
hardware can be rebuilt (though unlike ELN, I suggest that this should
be an entirely separate infrastructure not maintained by the Fedora
Project). Such a project could then live or die based on willingness
to maintain it and stop holding back Fedora as a whole.