Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On Wednesday, June 19, 2024, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 10:39, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 9:29 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 19/06/2024 09:13, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > > If Fedora cares
> > > about optimal performance it should just declare we're going to stop
> > > being held back by compat with ancient hardware and use -v2 baseline
> > > for everything, but obviously that's been rejected previously.
> >
> > Maybe it's a good time for the Fedora 41 System-Wide change proposal?
> > Switching to AVX2 will give significant performance boost for many
> > applications.
> >

> Last time, the approach was to do the RHEL approach (ie. lie to RPM
> about the architecture level we support).
>
> Two things have changed since then:
>
> * I suspect more of the hardware that don't support -v2 have failed
> out of use naturally
> * RPM now lets us "tell the truth" about what x86_64 sublevel we expect
>
> If we're now starting to have software that *requires* x86_64-v2, then
> we should visit this with that idea in mind.

I still have two critical machines that are v1 (old Intel Atom CPUs).
They are my local routers/NAS servers (primary and secondary). One is
even pre-UEFI. They still work fine and do their job great. I don't
mind if some applications I couldn't run on them anyway start requiring
v2, but having the whole distro switch to v2 will prevent me from
running Fedora on these two.

Yes but at some point we need to do the cut and not being held back by old / ancient hardware forever.