Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On 20/06/2024 15:03, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

Honestly, I'd like to pitch that we retarget Fedora at x86_64-v3 (yes,
three) and recommend creation of a Fedora "Hardware Life Extension"
Remix that can provide rebuilds of (a subset of) Fedora that they want
to run on ancient hardware. It could be something similar to Fedora
ELN, where a subset of the main repo that might be useful on old
hardware can be rebuilt (though unlike ELN, I suggest that this should
be an entirely separate infrastructure not maintained by the Fedora
Project). Such a project could then live or die based on willingness
to maintain it and stop holding back Fedora as a whole.

I definitely think going to v2 would be reasonable bit I tink
forcing v3 might be a step too far.

While my desktop is v4 and my laptop is v3 I have two other
machines at home which are only v2 one of which is only five
years old having been built then to replace a 32 bit machine
when Fedora was dropping 32 bit x86 support.

Having checked a couple of dozen machines at work that are
running either F39 or F40 it's roughly a 50/50 split between
ones which are v2 and ones with are v3. There are even three
v1 machines there though one is redundant and the other two
do really need replacing.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)