Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Please provide your audited (by a 3rd party) data that shows
> that MANY (i.e. significant percentage of) people on x86_64-v1
> users have a need for qemu.

"Many people" was just an estimate considering that QEMU is a popular
package, so it is more likely to be used in general than some obscure niche
package, so it is also statistically more likely to be used on any
particular class of hardware, even old hardware.

Also, "many people" does NOT mean "significant percentage of", but a
significant absolute number. If QEMU is used by, say, 1 million people, and,
say, only 1% of those uses old "x86_64-v1" hardware (those are NOT actual
numbers, just an example with hypothetical numbers to illustrate the
computation involved, which is mathematically just a simple multiplication),
that would still mean 10000 users are affected, which fits my definition of
"many people".

But in the end, it does not matter. The policy is that ALL packages are
supposed to comply with the distrowide baseline architecture, no matter how
many or what percentage of users of the package actually use a computer old
enough to support only the baseline.

        Kevin Kofler