Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 9:15 PM Przemek Klosowski via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/12/24 14:07, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > Yeah, maintaining that long-term seems like a bad idea. [...] But it
> > would at least buy us some time so that we don't end up with the
> > "surprise, you can't use this release on your hardware if you want to
> > use QEMU!" situation.
> >
> The root cause seems to be the QEMU upstream's switch to x86_64_v2 ABI
> without a backwards compatiblity. If the software is not compatible with
> a given hardware, it just should not install; Fedora should not be stuck
> at an obsolete version for everyone, or expected to backport
> alternatives, or be blamed for the breakage on old systems.
>
> I am an old man, but even I understand that sometimes backwards
> compatibility has to go if there are tangible benefits to breaking
> changes and no practical workarounds, whether it's 32-bit-only support,
> or X11, or QEMU; I accept it even if I am personally affected.
>
> To prevent the surprise, I wonder if Fedora could detect and warn for
> old hardware :
>
>      "The future upstream changes to QEMU will require x86_64_v2
> hardware, making it incompatible with your system"
>
> before the upstream changes arrive. After that, I like Neal's suggestion
> of declaring it via RPM attributes, and making it
> non-installable/non-upgradeable on old architectures. I guess people
> will have to decide then if they uninstall or lock out updates with
> 'versionlock' or '--skip-broken'. I understand that locking updates
> would still eventually result in nonfunctional QEMU because of diverging
> dependencies.

This is supported since RPM 4.19, so we should just do it.

We may also want to start having a conversation about moving to
x86_64-v2 RPM arch for x86_64 across the board if we're going to start
encountering stuff like this.