Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 12:35 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It isn't as simple as changing the CFLAGS. QEMU used to check for
> the CPU feature at startup, set a flag, and then later use that flag
> to choose different codepaths, but this logic was removed. Avoiding
> the flag check in hot-paths makes a perf difference.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. :-)

> So we would have to revert the whole patch series in Fedora. That's
> doable today, but I'm not confident carrying a local only revert over
> time.

Yeah, maintaining that long-term seems like a bad idea. It might not
be a bad idea in the short term as a bridge to keep newer QEMU in the
repos while we decide as a project what to do long term. I recognize,
of course, that is easy for me to say this because I'm not the one who
will have to do the work and carry the maintenance burden. I trust
your judgement on if that's workable at all and for how long. But it
would at least buy us some time so that we don't end up with the
"surprise, you can't use this release on your hardware if you want to
use QEMU!" situation.

--
Ben Cotton (he/him)
TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis