Re: RPM_* env variables vs macros

V Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 08:36:25AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 09:53:48AM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > > I acknowledge what Panu wrote, but I think there are also countervailing reasons
> > > to prefer the macro:
> > > - it is shorter and generally more consistent with the rest of the spec file,
> > >    which will have many many macros and only occasionally a shell variable,
> > >    so the macro is more aesthetic.
> > > - but the big thing is that the macro is safe wrt. typos, while the variable
> > >    not so much. It's just too easy to make a stupid typo in the variable name
> > >    and do bad things™ in a local build.
> > >
> > >    ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT:?} would be a better way to spell the variable reference,
> > >    but that's too long expect people to use it.
> >
> > Yeah the thing is those macros can and will never go away because everybody
> > instinctively prefers them for consistency within the spec, shorter to type
> > and all.
> >

> > > So maybe we should have a macro that would expand to the env var:
> > >    %global BUILDROOT ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT:?}
> > > and recommend that people use that instead?
> >
> > That'd be a third variant of the same thing, probably causing even more
> > confusion, and specs using that would be incompatible with everything else.
> > Let's not.
> >
> > Making the macros expand to the corresponding environment variables is a is
> > a sound strategy though, and what we're doing with %_smp_mflags already:
> >
> > %_smp_mflags -j${RPM_BUILD_NCPUS}
> >
> > It can cause some breakage though so care needs to be taken. And just now,
> > we've already rocked the boat more than is entirely healthy for a single
> > release, so further experiments in this area will have to wait for some
> > other time.
>
> I don't think we could ever change %buildroot to be ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT:?},
> because the variable may be used in context where shell variable expansion
> is not supported… (E.g. a trivial "find '%{buildroot}' -name '*.a' -delete")

Moreover, the scripts can be interpreted with a different shell than bash.
A shell where ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT:?} is invalid or has a different meaning.

That's actually a reason why to prefer manually typing shell variables in the
scripts: Shells know how to safely expand variables. rpm-build cannot know how
to escape the expanded value.

-- Petr