Re: network service removed in Fedora 40 without a Change proposal(?)

On Mon, 2024-04-15 at 10:44 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 10:46:39AM +0200, Lukáš Nykrýn wrote:
> > Just for record, the removal of network-scripts was done because
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/dhclient_deprecation
>
> That page has Category:ChangePageIncomplete.
> dhcp-client is present in F40, even though it has Provides:deprecated().
>
> > Network-scripts heavily depend on dhclient and there is no plan to rework
> > them to use a different dhcp implementation.
>
> Ack. So it sounds like we could keep using both in F40
> and prepare for removal in F41.

There are various uses of the service that do not need a DHCP client,
like the one I referred to in the bug report and FESCo ticket. Heck,
you can kinda *assume* anyone still using the service at this point is
doing something weird with it, not just a 'normal' "bring up this
interface for me with DHCP" kinda thing.

The removal of the network service should still be treated as its own
significant operation, not a natural consequence of the removal of
dhclient.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA