Re: "fedpkg local" builds fail for rust packages

Dne 08. 04. 24 v 12:32 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 6:17 AM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 03:33:35PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 9:51 AM Michael J Gruber <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So you're saying that those packages are in the repos for everyone but
not meant to be installed by anyone (besides mock chroots), and that is
how and why they are packaged.
Yes. That is the best we can do given how cargo + Rust work.

`This package contains library source intended for building other packages which
use the "xyz" crate.`
So the description matches what I said?

Unless you `fedpkg local` build it. Or maybe only if you `fedpkg
mockbuild` it. Does a rebuild from `fedpkg srpm` even work?

Wow!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but "fedpkg local" is an ugly hack
(independent of Rust peculiarities).
fedpkg local works fine for almost all cases.

And I am not interested in adding workarounds to the Rust packaging
toolchain to support it.

"fedpkg mockbuild" and "fedpkg srpm" all work as expected ...

Is there any other set of packages which we package like that?
Probably golang ... maybe Haskell, OCaml?
OCaml is definitely _not_ packaged like this.  ocaml-* and
ocaml-*-devel packages are normal packages that can be installed by
end users if they want, although usually only if they're developing
OCaml software.

Packaged Rust crates work *fine* for local development as long as you
are willing to cut yourself off from crates.io. Unlike *every other
language package manager*, Cargo does not support multiple concurrent
indexes. This is ultimately the bottleneck, and there's been very
little interest in resolving this upstream.

Upstream issue: https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/4883

OTOH, there does not seem to be linked any PR implementing this RFE.

Vít

Without this feature, it becomes difficult to do development using
packaged crates.