Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?

On Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 07:21:40AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 7:11 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's bascially the same problem as Fedora has when users upgrade from Fredora
> > 40 to 41. Fedora "fixed" the rpmautospec problem by stating that upgrade path
> > between Fedoras is not maintained anymore and users need to do "dnf
> > distro-sync" to ignore the RPM versioning.
> >
> > All that stems from tha fact that a number of commits between parallelly
> > supported braches is not monotonic.
> >

> We did this long before rpmautospec existed. We switched to this
> behavior in Fedora 23 because we have never fully maintained "upgrade
> paths" across releases.

Per private message with Neal this seems to be the Change that brought
it about:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DNF_System_Upgrades

I'm ... a bit surprised that we don't seem to have any documentation
stating explicitly that the assumption that NEVRAs in a newer release
are no longer assumed to be monotonically higher.

e.g. packaging guidelines still say "Rawhide is allowed to lag
*temporarily*" (emphasis mine)

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Versioning/#_rawhide_is_allowed_to_lag_temporarily

I suppose the user facing documentation does say that upgrading using
only DNF is not tested -- but there's no guideline about loosening
monotonicity provided to packagers as far as I can tell.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/upgrading-fedora-new-release/#_can_i_upgrade_between_fedora_releases_using_only_dnf

So, questions:

- should we update the packaging docs? Does this need to be a new Change
  Proposal or does this just need to go through the Fedora packaging
  committee? (Those involved in the Change like zbyszek can probably
  advise here)

- should we extend this further and say, if we no longer assume NEVRAs
  are monotonically increasing in a new release, we should allow
  packagers to use this opportunity to drop epochs in Rawhide? (likely
  with proper announcement beforehand in devel@)

  (this might require coordination with RH's Leapp developers and
  AlmaLinux's ELevate developers, to make sure those support upgrading
  to lower NEVRAs too)

Best regards,

--
 _o) Michel Lind (né Salim)