Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> If RPM's ELF dependency generator were better, the importance of
> stability would be debatable, but as it is, I really think Fedora should
> be more stable than it is, especially for whatever it defines as "the
> OS."  Today, dnf/rpm will happily allow users to install an application
> that will not run because that application actually depends on newer
> versions of dependencies than are installed on the system.  If a
> significant portion of the standard desktop regularly rebased in the
> middle of a release, I expect that would be a more common problem.

Symbol versioning helps with this, because the ELF dependency generator
extracts the symbol versions (though not the individual symbols, only the
versions) that are required. And, e.g., Qt uses symbol versioning.

The KDE packages also often have explicit versioned Requires on the
dependencies where it matters.

        Kevin Kofler