Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Den ons 3 apr. 2024 kl 18:45 skrev Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 12:22 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2 2024 at 06:18:31 PM -07:00:00, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I mean, we really don't need to speculate about this much. We did an
> > entire overhaul of the project - Fedora.next - which was explicitly
> > based around making it much more focused and less of a
> > choose-your-own-
> > adventure, specifically including making the download page much more
> > opinionated. AFAIR, the numbers Matthew tracks strongly indicate this
> > was associated with a very significant immediate bump in Fedora usage.
>
> Yes, promoting Fedora Workstation over all the other desktops has been
> key to the success of Fedora over the past 10 years. I suspect it was
> the right choice, because Fedora has grown considerably from our
> unrelenting focus on attracting so many GNOME desktop users to the
> Fedora edition that receives the most investment. But there is a
> continuum of strategies we can use to promote our default desktop over
> other options, and I wonder if we've erred too far in favor of Fedora
> Workstation and against Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop here. The Plasma spin
> is much "bigger" than the other spins, it's of comparable quality to
> Fedora Workstation, and it is release blocking. It just seems strange
> to relegate it to a secondary downloads page regardless of how popular
> it is, while the non-desktop editions (some of which are frankly
> relatively niche) get featured very prominently.
>
> I'm not sure what the solution is here. Kevin's suggestion of featuring
> all spins equally risks overloading users with difficult choices and
> diluting our focus on what we do well, and I hesitate to open the doors
> for all spins to request a place on the main download page. I suppose I
> think of KDE Plasma as "special" relative to all the others due to its
> relatively large upstream developer community and user base, so I guess
> I'd like to see some way to elevate the status of Plasma in Fedora
> without also jeopardizing the special status of Fedora Workstation. We
> should have a very compelling reason if we're going to continue hiding
> one of our strongest products, and I don't think we do anymore. Our
> reputation as a quality GNOME distro has become so strong that it's not
> going to be damaged by other Fedora desktop offerings.
>
> So here are three brainstorming proposals:
>
>  (a) Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop becomes a Fedora edition. We'd need to
> be careful about how we do it. I would still promote Fedora Workstation
> as the main/recommended "leading" desktop, would call Plasma an
> "alternative desktop option," and would strongly caution against use of
> the word "Workstation" anywhere in the branding for the Plasma version.
> That is, let's continue to steer undecided users towards Fedora
> Workstation, while making Plasma easier to find and presenting it more
> prominently than it is today.

What would be wrong with "Fedora GNOME Workstation" and "Fedora KDE
Plasma Desktop"? I think once we're both at the same level, the
desktop name as a distinguishing property is valuable.

From Red Hat's POV it is not Fedora Gnome Workstation (https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2020/05/07/gnome-is-not-the-default-for-fedora-workstation/).

One of the best things with Fedora Workstation is that it is a complete user facing OS (like Windows, macOS and iOS) that you actually can develop applications for (if you want to). You don't have to target the extremely fluffy "Linux desktop", you can target Fedora Workstation. This proposal would totally eliminate the good points of having this single OS and app platform.

/Andreas

>  (b) Alternatively, elevate the positioning of all spins on the
> fedoraproject.org homepage. Place the link to the spins right next to
> the link to Fedora Workstation, above the atomic desktops (which are
> sadly still experimental), above the Fedora labs and ALT downloads, and
> honestly probably above the non-desktop Fedora editions. Nobody is
> going to be confused as to which one is the primary product.

I think this would be rather chaotic, but I do think we need something
to show that the spins exist more. I suspect that a big part of why
some of them languish and fade is the lack of visibility. It makes it
a foregone conclusion, which is a huge problem with how we handle
non-edition variants in general.

>  (c) Do both of the above, because they aren't mutually exclusive
> proposals.

Indeed.