Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 12:22 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2 2024 at 06:18:31 PM -07:00:00, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I mean, we really don't need to speculate about this much. We did an
> > entire overhaul of the project - Fedora.next - which was explicitly
> > based around making it much more focused and less of a
> > choose-your-own-
> > adventure, specifically including making the download page much more
> > opinionated. AFAIR, the numbers Matthew tracks strongly indicate this
> > was associated with a very significant immediate bump in Fedora usage.
>
> Yes, promoting Fedora Workstation over all the other desktops has been
> key to the success of Fedora over the past 10 years. I suspect it was
> the right choice, because Fedora has grown considerably from our
> unrelenting focus on attracting so many GNOME desktop users to the
> Fedora edition that receives the most investment. But there is a
> continuum of strategies we can use to promote our default desktop over
> other options, and I wonder if we've erred too far in favor of Fedora
> Workstation and against Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop here. The Plasma spin
> is much "bigger" than the other spins, it's of comparable quality to
> Fedora Workstation, and it is release blocking. It just seems strange
> to relegate it to a secondary downloads page regardless of how popular
> it is, while the non-desktop editions (some of which are frankly
> relatively niche) get featured very prominently.
>
> I'm not sure what the solution is here. Kevin's suggestion of featuring
> all spins equally risks overloading users with difficult choices and
> diluting our focus on what we do well, and I hesitate to open the doors
> for all spins to request a place on the main download page. I suppose I
> think of KDE Plasma as "special" relative to all the others due to its
> relatively large upstream developer community and user base, so I guess
> I'd like to see some way to elevate the status of Plasma in Fedora
> without also jeopardizing the special status of Fedora Workstation. We
> should have a very compelling reason if we're going to continue hiding
> one of our strongest products, and I don't think we do anymore. Our
> reputation as a quality GNOME distro has become so strong that it's not
> going to be damaged by other Fedora desktop offerings.
>
> So here are three brainstorming proposals:
>
>  (a) Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop becomes a Fedora edition. We'd need to
> be careful about how we do it. I would still promote Fedora Workstation
> as the main/recommended "leading" desktop, would call Plasma an
> "alternative desktop option," and would strongly caution against use of
> the word "Workstation" anywhere in the branding for the Plasma version.
> That is, let's continue to steer undecided users towards Fedora
> Workstation, while making Plasma easier to find and presenting it more
> prominently than it is today.

What would be wrong with "Fedora GNOME Workstation" and "Fedora KDE
Plasma Desktop"? I think once we're both at the same level, the
desktop name as a distinguishing property is valuable.

>  (b) Alternatively, elevate the positioning of all spins on the
> fedoraproject.org homepage. Place the link to the spins right next to
> the link to Fedora Workstation, above the atomic desktops (which are
> sadly still experimental), above the Fedora labs and ALT downloads, and
> honestly probably above the non-desktop Fedora editions. Nobody is
> going to be confused as to which one is the primary product.

I think this would be rather chaotic, but I do think we need something
to show that the spins exist more. I suspect that a big part of why
some of them languish and fade is the lack of visibility. It makes it
a foregone conclusion, which is a huge problem with how we handle
non-edition variants in general.

>  (c) Do both of the above, because they aren't mutually exclusive
> proposals.

Indeed.