Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 08:43:52PM +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:

> One thing that seems to be overlooked in many of the posts on this thread:
>
> Nobody can *force* the KDE Plasma maintainers to do *anything*, just
> like nobody can force *any* packager to do anything. Fedora a
> volunteer-run project. We're mostly doing this "for fun" (or at least,
> some definition of "fun"). So if the KDE Plasma maintainers / the KDE
> SIG decides that they do not want to keep supporting the Plasma / X11
> session, that is their choice. However, I am not sure whether I like
> it or not that there's an ongoing effort to add this functionality
> back with separate packages.
>
> For me, the only acceptable way to do this would be in a way that does
> in no way make maintaining the Plasma / Wayland packages more
> difficult or burdensome, since the original intent of dropping the
> Plasma / X11 session was to *lower* the maintenance burden. Adding
> back the Plasma / X11 session with separate packages might cause
> additional overhead for the KDE SIG (for example, needing to update
> kwin-x11 whenever there is a kwin update). That would be the "usual"
> way to handle this according to Fedora policies.
>
> However, that would be counter to the original purpose of dropping the
> functionality from the packages maintained by the KDE SIG. But again,
> nobody can *force* package maintainers to support something they don't
> want to support. So in this case, I think it would be good to have
> something like a clarification to the Updates Policy (and / or other
> policies, as necessary) for this case to resolve the contradiction -
> something like "updates for KDE Plasma packages are not required to be
> coordinated with packages for the Plasma / X11 session".
>
> I'm also unsure how handling bug reports would best work in this
> situation. People *will* report bugs against the wrong components,
> causing additional work for the KDE SIG. (Hell, I'm getting bug
> reports filed against elementary / Pantheon packages, and there's not
> even a usable Pantheon session in Fedora yet!)

Yeah. So, what advantages are there to this being in the main fedora
collection of packages over just in a copr?

I suppose with official packages you get bugzilla for bugs?
Although copr's get discussion threads that many people use that way.

kevin