Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 11:12 PM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steve Cossette wrote:
> > But to be fair as well, that doesn't exist on Windows (Windows can
> > reopen the programs you are working on but it doesn't save what you were
> > doing)
>
> And even that, it does not do automatically, it is an application feature to
> request this through the registry. (Something Wayland applications could in
> theory also due through XDG autostart or systemd user units, but in practice
> do not do, because application developers are used from X11 to this just
> working.)
>
> > Xorg I've been told has it, but each program has to support it.
>
> Of course, saving and restoring the application state requires application
> support. But many desktop applications have that code already for X11
> session restore and it would probably only take a toolkit (Qt/GTK) update to
> pick up a Wayland protocol for this without the application having to do
> anything. (By the way, mobile or convergent applications are supposed to
> have support for this because Android requires it for power management, so
> there too, there is code that could likely be enabled with minimal effort,
> though it would probably need application code changes to bring it out of an
> Android-only code path if they do not already support this on X11.)

The Wayland protocol in question is this one:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/18

That said, even X11's version isn't widely supported. Typically,
support for this is plumbed through linking libSM, and GTK notably
does not use it. Qt does, of course.

This is one of the things I've had on my radar for quite some time.
macOS-style automatic relaunch of applications is slated upstream for
6.1: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3523

Support for the Wayland protocol will come after, but the combination
of the two approaches means that pretty much everything will be able
to relaunch as desired in some form on restart.