Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

Steve Cossette wrote:
> But to be fair as well, that doesn't exist on Windows (Windows can
> reopen the programs you are working on but it doesn't save what you were
> doing)

And even that, it does not do automatically, it is an application feature to
request this through the registry. (Something Wayland applications could in
theory also due through XDG autostart or systemd user units, but in practice
do not do, because application developers are used from X11 to this just
working.)

> Xorg I've been told has it, but each program has to support it.

Of course, saving and restoring the application state requires application
support. But many desktop applications have that code already for X11
session restore and it would probably only take a toolkit (Qt/GTK) update to
pick up a Wayland protocol for this without the application having to do
anything. (By the way, mobile or convergent applications are supposed to
have support for this because Android requires it for power management, so
there too, there is code that could likely be enabled with minimal effort,
though it would probably need application code changes to bring it out of an
Android-only code path if they do not already support this on X11.)

        Kevin Kofler