Re: Request for comment- tuned replacing power-profiles-daemon plan

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 10:58 PM Kate Hsuan <hpa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Allan,
>
> Thank you for the comments.
>
> On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 12:31 AM Allan Day <aday@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Kate,
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 8:30 AM Kate Hsuan <hpa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >... By
> > > integrating power-profiles-daemon with tuned, the user can get extra
> > > features to finetune the system, and the basic feature provided by ppd
> > > can be used according to the user's demand. It also can reduce the
> > > efforts of the maintainer.
> > > Moreover, the detailed change proposal can be found here.
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/TunedReplacesPower-profiles-daemon
> >
> > I just noticed that the change proposal contains the line:
> >
> > "We expected that the user can set those profile, tuned provided
> > through gnome-control-panel. To minimize the information to the user,
> > the power panel would provide a simple and advanced mode to show the
> > power profiles. If the users want to finetune the system, they can
> > switch to the advanced mode themselves."
> >
> > It's a bit unclear if this is a definite plan, a requirement, or more
> > of a speculative ambition. However, I should probably be clear that
> > from a GNOME design perspective, an advanced power profile settings
> > mode would likely be a tough sell. Exposing arbitrary user-defined
> > profiles would also pose some challenges which it might be difficult
> > to overcome.
> >
> - Simple (Basic) mode is the original UX design of the power panel so
> we don't need to change or redesign it.
> - The advanced mode only shows the profile that tuned provides and the
> profile can be filtered based on the system architecture or platform
> model (Dell, Lenovo...etc). It is my thought and any kinds of ideas
> are welcome.
>
> Since there are many kinds of profiles provided by tuned, for example,
> VM-specific profiles and profiles for Intel features...etc., that
> gives us more room to think about how the UI can be improved. In this
> proposal, I listed the probabilities of UX changes to show how we can
> propose a new UX for the power panel. If it is difficult to achieve,
> the advanced mode can be dropped, and seek for alternative solutions.
> :)
> For the short-term plan, we would like to address the integration with
> tuned. The best result of the first step is that power-profiles-daemon
> is replaced by tuned and all the applications, such as gnome, kde,
> sysprof...etc run correctly. Then, we will start to think about how
> the UX can be improved or an alternative solution to set up the
> advanced tuned profiles.
>
> > If this change proposal does require UXD changes to GNOME, then I'd
> > suggest reaching out to us in advance to discuss them.
>  Okay. :)

I strongly recommend you reach out to the KDE folks as well. The
Visual Design Group is a good starting point[1] for discussing the UX
for tuned in KDE Plasma. A Matrix account is required to interact with
most of the KDE folks, but you should already have one through
chat.fedoraproject.org if you don't already have one from elsewhere.

I suspect many of your simple/advanced UX ideas will be fine, but need
to be refined with the VDG to figure out how it should be done.

>From the KDE side, we are not strictly speaking, married to the
power-profiles-daemon concept. And the idea of having IHVs actually
provide useful energy tuning profiles so that battery life can be
further extended (thus supplanting tlp as well) is highly appealing.

[1]: https://matrix.to/#/#visualdesigngroup:kde.org