Re: Request for comment- tuned replacing power-profiles-daemon plan

Hi Jelle,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Upower is one of my backup plans and I plan to start to move all the
ppd API and features to Upower.
But considering the comment from Mark Pearson, tuned allows the vendor
to implement their profile in a much more flexible manner.
Also, tuned provides a set of dbus APIs to use so I think it is not
difficult to integrate with GNOME applications.

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 12:54 AM Jelle van der Waa <jelle@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/11/2023 17:30, Allan Day wrote:
> > Hi Kate,
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 8:30 AM Kate Hsuan <hpa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> ... By
> >> integrating power-profiles-daemon with tuned, the user can get extra
> >> features to finetune the system, and the basic feature provided by ppd
> >> can be used according to the user's demand. It also can reduce the
> >> efforts of the maintainer.
> >> Moreover, the detailed change proposal can be found here.
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/TunedReplacesPower-profiles-daemon
> >
> > I just noticed that the change proposal contains the line:
> >
> > "We expected that the user can set those profile, tuned provided
> > through gnome-control-panel. To minimize the information to the user,
> > the power panel would provide a simple and advanced mode to show the
> > power profiles. If the users want to finetune the system, they can
> > switch to the advanced mode themselves."
> >
> > It's a bit unclear if this is a definite plan, a requirement, or more
> > of a speculative ambition. However, I should probably be clear that
> > from a GNOME design perspective, an advanced power profile settings
> > mode would likely be a tough sell. Exposing arbitrary user-defined
> > profiles would also pose some challenges which it might be difficult
> > to overcome.
> >
> > If this change proposal does require UXD changes to GNOME, then I'd
> > suggest reaching out to us in advance to discuss them.
>
> Wouldn't it also be logical for UPower to replace power-profiles-daemon?
> UPower is already integrated into GNOME Settings while tuned is not, not
> having an additional dependency might be nicer and beneficial for other
> distributions which might not have a tuned package at all.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jelle van der Waa

BR,
Kate