Re: Packaging guidelines - validation of AppStream metadata files

On Mon, Sep 25 2023 at 09:15:37 PM -0400, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There was no switching. Both appstream-util and appstreamcli are
considered conformant.

Ultimately, the only way we can stop relying on appstream-glib is if
appstream-builder[1] was reimplemented on top of libappstream-compose.

Long ago, I tried to see if we could have our AppStream data produced
as repodata instead of a package, but the answer I got was that we
need the functionality added to createrepo to do it[2]. If someone
ever got around to making that happen, a lot of things in our pipeline
could be simplified.

[1]: https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib/tree/main/libappstream-builder
[2]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/createrepo_c/issues/75

Hi,

Matthias Klumpp has suggested using a tool called appstream-generator:

https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/476#issuecomment-1776286096

It's pretty clear the two tools have incompatible ideas of what metadata is valid, and the apptsream-glib repo has a big warning that you shouldn't actually use it, so upstreams will continue to migrate from appstream-util to appstreamcli regardless of what Fedora does. We'll probably encounter more problems as time goes on.

Michael