Re: Adding Passim as a Fedora 40 feature?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 7:35 PM Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 at 19:26, Marcus Müller <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I fully agree with that assessment. "Here's a knob you turn that has the potential to make
> > your firmware update 2s faster and is generally good for the ecosystem, but you will have
> > set it on every machine you set up" will not lead to significant deployment.
>
> Agree.
>
> > Question: I presume you only want to share the metadata, and never downloaded fw images,
> > right?
>
> I think for phase 1 that's completely correct.
>
> > If that's the case, it'd alleviate a lot of the privacy concerns I'd have with my
> > laptop sharing with a campus network all of the devices for which I've lately downloaded
> > firmware.
>
> There are concerns with sharing firmware, I totally agree. It's
> non-free software (which you have permission to redistribute, but
> still unpalatable for many) -- the compromise I've done for people
> changing the default to "metadata,firmware" is that you need to reboot
> into the new firmware before the published firmware gets shared; on
> the logic that you don't want to advertise to the world that you're
> currently running insecure firmware.

In a lot of corporate datacentre networks the "users" on the network
would know what the network is comprised of, and often on these
networks they will have 10s, 100s of even 1000s of identical devices
where being able to do sharing of the same firmware is useful. Maybe
make that configurable so the network/system admin can make the
decision for what's best for their usecase?