Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build Fedora Workstation live ISO with Image Builder (System-Wide)

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 4:26 PM Simon de Vlieger <cmdr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/28/23 21:12, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > The current Workstation live has the package exclusions from fedora-
> > workstation-common.ks in it:
> >
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/main/f/fedora-workstation-common.ks
> >
> > so it excludes three groups that are part of the 'standard' for live
> > images but which Workstation doesn't want to include, and it excludes
> > two packages that usually get pulled in as part of the installer
> > environment. The reiserfs-utils exclusion could actually be dropped as
> > we dropped reiserfs-utils from comps long ago, but the gfs2-utils
> > exclusion is still 'active'.
>
> Thanks, yes I saw this when I ran ksflatten on it to come up with the
> package set that was needed for the live installer that can be built by
> osbuild-composer at this moment.
>
> > There is a bit of "defining base Fedora" - that's what fedora-live-
> > base.ks does - but there is other stuff too. One very prevalent pattern
> > is that we share a lot of stuff between live image and disk image
> > definitions. So for e.g. for Workstation, we have these chains:
> >
> > fedora-live-workstation.ks inherits from fedora-live-base.ks and
> > fedora-workstation-common.ks
> > fedora-disk-workstation.ks inherits from fedora-disk-base.ks, fedora-
> > disk-xbase.ks and fedora-workstation-common.ks
> >
> > so things that are 'basic' to each particular type of image are shared,
> > but also things that are 'basic' to each edition or spin are shared, so
> > we're not doing them twice between the lives and the disk images.
> >
> > Then we have things like labs/spins that are based on desktop
> > spins/editions, but extend them. For e.g., the Design Suite lab is
> > based on Workstation, so it inherits from fedora-live-workstation.ks .
> > Astronomy_KDE and Scientific_KDE, obviously, inherit from the KDE
> > kickstarts.
> >
> > There's also a 'minimization' pattern where several kickstarts inherit
> > from fedora-live-minimization.ks , which does/did some shared
> > minimization stuff. I kinda disliked that pattern and I've managed to
> > pare that file down to just `-hplip` now, but that's still there as I
> > haven't managed to shift it.
> >
> > So, there's a lot going on with the inheritance stuff. :D It definitely
> > needs to be evaluated at least. You can just do `grep include *.ks` in
> > the fedora-kickstarts repo to get a feel for everything.
>
> Thanks for that write up, I'm going to go spelunking in this repository
> and come up with a plan on how to support an approach like this to
> define editions/spins in blueprints so there's no wall in front of us
> for future building of those images as well.
>
> I can see it hopefully becoming *easier* to define spins, editions, and
> remixes of Fedora in the future.

Comparatively, the Fedora Asahi Remix is defined using KIWI
descriptions using composition and inheritance of profiles and config
snippets.

Top level file:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/config.xml

Desktop environment fragment:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/components/desktop-environments.xml
Common packages:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/components/base.xml
Boot packages: https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/components/boot.xml
Workstation platform:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/platforms/workstation.xml

I would say personally that not being able to do this is a blocker for
adopting osbuild-composer blueprints.