Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build Fedora Workstation live ISO with Image Builder (System-Wide)

On 6/28/23 22:32, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 4:26 PM Simon de Vlieger <cmdr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/28/23 21:12, Adam Williamson wrote:

The current Workstation live has the package exclusions from fedora-
workstation-common.ks in it:

https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/main/f/fedora-workstation-common.ks

so it excludes three groups that are part of the 'standard' for live
images but which Workstation doesn't want to include, and it excludes
two packages that usually get pulled in as part of the installer
environment. The reiserfs-utils exclusion could actually be dropped as
we dropped reiserfs-utils from comps long ago, but the gfs2-utils
exclusion is still 'active'.

Thanks, yes I saw this when I ran ksflatten on it to come up with the
package set that was needed for the live installer that can be built by
osbuild-composer at this moment.

There is a bit of "defining base Fedora" - that's what fedora-live-
base.ks does - but there is other stuff too. One very prevalent pattern
is that we share a lot of stuff between live image and disk image
definitions. So for e.g. for Workstation, we have these chains:

fedora-live-workstation.ks inherits from fedora-live-base.ks and
fedora-workstation-common.ks
fedora-disk-workstation.ks inherits from fedora-disk-base.ks, fedora-
disk-xbase.ks and fedora-workstation-common.ks

so things that are 'basic' to each particular type of image are shared,
but also things that are 'basic' to each edition or spin are shared, so
we're not doing them twice between the lives and the disk images.

Then we have things like labs/spins that are based on desktop
spins/editions, but extend them. For e.g., the Design Suite lab is
based on Workstation, so it inherits from fedora-live-workstation.ks .
Astronomy_KDE and Scientific_KDE, obviously, inherit from the KDE
kickstarts.

There's also a 'minimization' pattern where several kickstarts inherit
from fedora-live-minimization.ks , which does/did some shared
minimization stuff. I kinda disliked that pattern and I've managed to
pare that file down to just `-hplip` now, but that's still there as I
haven't managed to shift it.

So, there's a lot going on with the inheritance stuff. :D It definitely
needs to be evaluated at least. You can just do `grep include *.ks` in
the fedora-kickstarts repo to get a feel for everything.

Thanks for that write up, I'm going to go spelunking in this repository
and come up with a plan on how to support an approach like this to
define editions/spins in blueprints so there's no wall in front of us
for future building of those images as well.

I can see it hopefully becoming *easier* to define spins, editions, and
remixes of Fedora in the future.

Comparatively, the Fedora Asahi Remix is defined using KIWI
descriptions using composition and inheritance of profiles and config
snippets.

Top level file:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/config.xml

Desktop environment fragment:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/components/desktop-environments.xml
Common packages:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/components/base.xml
Boot packages: https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/components/boot.xml
Workstation platform:
https://pagure.io/fedora-asahi/kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/platforms/workstation.xml

I would say personally that not being able to do this is a blocker for
adopting osbuild-composer blueprints.

Thank you Neal. Is there a reason why Fedora Asahi does not use the kickstart system? If so it'd be nice if we can support that use case as well in osbuild-composer :)

I'll take the kiwi example files (and the kickstarts) in mind to work on a direction for blueprints to take to support these usecases.

Regards,

Simon