Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build Fedora Workstation live ISO with Image Builder (System-Wide)

On Wed, 2023-06-28 at 18:21 +0200, Jiří Konečný wrote:

> > I think the points discussed in the ticket (layering/inheritance, and
> > package removals) are critical and they need an answer to be figured
> > out *before* we start switching Fedora live images to be built with a
> > different tool. I don't see how it can be good for Fedora if we have
> > *some* live images built with livemedia-creator and *some* live images
> > built with Image Builder - but if we start converting images without
> > figuring out what to do about layering and package exclusions, that's
> > exactly what we risk.
>
> Honestly, I would rather like having exactly that. Image Builder slowly taking over the image builds.

Slowly taking over is fine. But there needs to be a clear path to
slowly taking over. If we have already spotted a wall built across that
path, our response cannot be "eh, we'll keep driving along and deal
with the wall when it's a bit closer". We need, at minimum, a Wall
Removal Plan. :D

>  If you do that at once you can break more and have less time for improvements.
> Even now, livemedia-creator used to build Live is not the same workflow as boot.iso builds by Lorax (even when it is the same codebase).

Indeed. This is part of the bitter past experience which is informing
my posts in this thread!

(Although, of course, building a live image is just a different thing
from building an installer image.)

> I would be surprised (maybe I'll be :D) if there is no solution for merging TOML files. In case of kickstart we had to reinvent the wheel because Kickstart is a new format. With TOML you have benefit of existing ecosystem.

"Kickstart is a new format"? Kickstart is at least 11 years older than
TOML, though probably much more (with a quick search, the earliest
definite reference to kickstart that I can find dates to Red Hat Linux
8.0, released in 2002; TOML's first release was in 2013, per
Wikipedia).
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA