Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build Fedora Workstation live ISO with Image Builder (System-Wide)

Hi all,

Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> napsal:
>On Wed, 2023-06-28 at 13:01 +0200, Ondřej Budai wrote:
>> I already answered you here:
>> https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/384#comment-862709
>>
>> TL;DR: Let's figure this out when we are migrating other artifacts. For
>> now, the blueprint will be empty/minimal.
>
>Thanks a lot for engaging with the feedback. However, I'm not convinced
>by that answer, and I would prefer to follow up here; I suspect
>feedback to an issue in the workstation tracker might well not be
>captured in the Change process.
>
>I think the points discussed in the ticket (layering/inheritance, and
>package removals) are critical and they need an answer to be figured
>out *before* we start switching Fedora live images to be built with a
>different tool. I don't see how it can be good for Fedora if we have
>*some* live images built with livemedia-creator and *some* live images
>built with Image Builder - but if we start converting images without
>figuring out what to do about layering and package exclusions, that's
>exactly what we risk.

Honestly, I would rather like having exactly that. Image Builder slowly taking over the image builds. If you do that at once you can break more and have less time for improvements.
Even now, livemedia-creator used to build Live is not the same workflow as boot.iso builds by Lorax (even when it is the same codebase).

It's basically the same approach with Anaconda, replace just one for now to improve things based on feedback.

>We do really kinda need inheritance to maintain the live image
>definitions sensibly. (Also, a related point Neal didn't mention: we
>share some elements of configuration between the live images and the
>aarch64 disk images, since both are defined by kickstarts in the
>fedora-kickstarts repo.) And we really need package exclusions to keep
>some images to a sensible size.

I would be surprised (maybe I'll be :D) if there is no solution for merging TOML files. In case of kickstart we had to reinvent the wheel because Kickstart is a new format. With TOML you have benefit of existing ecosystem.

Best Regards,
Jirka