Re: F39 proposal: BiggerESP (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 3:10 PM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mi, 10.05.23 17:54, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> > Read-only drivers, which are the only drivers under discussion here,
> > aren't a per se problem because they can't modify the file
> > system. So they have no complaints about that.
>
> No. Not true.

There could (in theory) exist a read-only
implementation of a journaling file system that
applied the journal as part of its processing in
memory (or some other transitory copy method).

To say that would be extremely fragile is an
understatement (it is, in essence, a full
implementation of the filesystem code).

I can't say I am a great fan of the fat filesystem,
but it is ubiquitous, and part of the machine
boot standards.  Proposing an alternative may
be an interesting intellectual exercise, but
one needs to work with the various industry
consortium's to make it a viable reality and
then wait 10+ years before it get implemented
everywhere, and 20+ years before someone
will not complain you are obsoleting some
perfectly usable hardware.

Quite honestly, I think that if the end game
is likely UKI on the ESP even 500MB might
be a little small, as one needs not only space
for the kernel images, but firmware updates
(and some firmware update images are
getting rather large), and any alternative OS
files, but it is much better than 200MB.