Re: F39 proposal: BiggerESP (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 03:59:33AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 3:33 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 05:54:45PM -0400, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > > I don't know what question you asked them. Any modifications
> > > (writes) performed outside kernel code is not supported, since
> > > forever.
> >
> > > Read-only drivers, which are the only drivers under discussion here,
> > > aren't a per se problem because they can't modify the file
> > > system. So they have no complaints about that.
> >
> > Just read-only is not enough: a user must be able to configure things in
> > the boot loader: the default boot entry, or screen resolution, etc.
> > Also we want boot counting, which means writing the number of boot
> > attempts somewhere. A solution which makes those things impossible
> > is not very attractive.
> >

> We already don't do boot counting from the bootloader side. That
> happens in the operating system.

The machine may fail before the userspace is established enough to be
able to write back to somewhere the boot loader will then read, and
such a boot *must* be counted as bad. And the only way to do this is
to actually do boot counting in the boot loader.

It is the OS that marks the boot as "good", but it's the boot loader
which decrements the boot counter before each boot, i.e. it actually
implements the counting in boot counting. Both systemd-boot and grub2
do this.

Zbyszek