Re: F39 proposal: BiggerESP (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 01:31:01PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > What about the increasing growth in linux-firmware and in particular the NVIDIA firmware requirements? My reading suggests it's significant and the future growth also significant.
>
> Could we use a dumb framebuffer in initrd and get rid of all the GPU
> firmware from the image?

Maybe, probably, who knows… But it's not just the video. The pressure
to add more stuff and more drivers will only grow: bluetooth for keyboards
and FIDO2, sound support for voice assistance, network for remote attestation
or clevis, etc. We can push this can down the road, but it seems we need
to be ready to add move stuff before root is available anyway.

Zbyszek