Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 02:42:56PM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> And as I already answered, I think this is completely backwards. If you want
> to newly join a project, you learn their way to do things and adapt to it.
> If, on the other hand, you are already involved in a project and have
> workflows that work for you, any forced change to something perceived as a
> regression will annoy you and make you want to leave.

In nearly all professions, "mastery of the tools of the trade" is
considered to be an important milestone, necessary if you're wanting to
excel in that endeavor. Unfortunately, for some reason, in this
profession, "tool mastery" is actively looked down upon.  Nevermind that
this mastery (which includes continuing to adapt, refine, and improve
those tools) is the basis of the "10x developer" that so many claim to
want.

> As I see it, the main roadblocks for new packagers are:

I think one of the legitimate points Matthew (and others) are making is
that "contributor != packager"

> * accepting the FPCA,
> * getting sponsored,

FWIW I never made it past this point. But at the same time I've not
really needed to.

> * learning the Packaging Guidelines, and
> * getting their package(s) through review,

But this is a _very_ high hurdle, as there's a _ton_ of policy and
fedora-specific process that has nothing to do with email or forums or
any "common" communication platform that would-be contributors would
ever be expected to be familiar with.

But as I already mentioned, this only applies to packagers; there are
many other avenues for contributors.  That said, are those other avenues
relevant for this particular mailing list?

> Guidelines are actually followed and as another check that nothing malicious
> sneaks in), but they are the barrier to entry, not the communication
> platform.

I completely agree, at least on the "packagers" side. I don't know what
barriers non-packaging contributors face, but I presume each
sub-category has its own barriers to entry.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)