Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 04:54:48PM +0000, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> Il 23/04/23 17:01, Björn Persson ha scritto:
> >
> > You let the quarrel go this far before you even bothered to mention
> > that? You're clearly not serious about selling the email features of
> > Discourse.
> >
> > You're trying to convince email users that your preferred communication
> > program is better than their preferred communication program. Users of
> > various email programs are saying no, the program I have chosen works
> > better for my needs. Do you also waste time trying to convince Emacs
> > users to switch to Vi?
> >
> > Instead of trying to make everybody use the same Javascript program,
> > what you should do is show how your preferred program implements the
> > relevant standards to be interoperable with my preferred program, so
> > that we can communicate while each using our respective programs. If
> > it's not interoperable, then that's where the problem is.
> >
> I'm not enthusiast about this proposed change too, but let's not go
> personal.

100% agreed.

> As I understand, it's not about Matthew personal preferences, it's about
> maintaining mailing list running needs manpower which Fedora is running
> out of. Switching to Discourse can probably relief some of the burden
> from fedora-infra guys.

I can't speak (or type) for Matthew, but I don't think that actually has
much to do with this. I'd love to be running a newer/better supported
mailman3 (and some folks have been hard at work to make that happen),
but even if right now today we had a super clean, well supported
mailman3 install for our lists, all the points in Matthews email would
still apply. He didn't mention mailman3 in his post at all that I can
see. I think we will be running mailing lists in some form for a long
while still, just fewer people will be interacting with them.

kevin