Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Fri, 2023-04-21 at 14:27 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:37:20AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > So I registered the account, added the email I want to get
> > notifications at, and selected a few topics.
> >
> > First impressions.
> >
> > It is absolutely confusing to figure out how to watch topics.
> > If you select a category and a topic you do not get the notification
> > bell to watch them.
> > If you select just a topic you get it.
> > Topics are all in random order. When you select some topic by searching
> > you sometimes are then proposed a different one (? renames ?)
>
> A terminology thing: I think what you are calling "topics" discourse calls
> "tags". Each discussion or thread is what discourse calls a "topic".

Sorry, I did mean tags.

> Watches are by category, by tag, or by individual topic.
>

> > I found no way to watch all, and let my client sort it out ... which
> > would need client filtering, because the stupid gmail filtering can't
> > handle header fields (#@#%$@#).
>
> Watching at the category level is probably the closest thing here. That is,
> watch Project Discussion and News & Announcements at least. That will
> include all topics under those categories regardless of tag.
>
> As for Gmail, see
> https://gist.github.com/tpopela/e2f17bf8eac15bee734b993e170f4dfa.
> I'm trying to get Tomas to write a Discourse post about that.

I've seen this before and it is a total monstrosity that works for
those that use the Web UI, but for those that pulls from IMAP like me
just makes everything worse, as those scripts run with delay, no
thanks. I expect they will also break suddenly whenever gmail decides
to change something, so I am not investing my time in that at all.
Note that I use gmail only because I am forced to, so I have no desire
in further exploring the matter, personally speaking, I have other
tools to cope with filtering if I need to.

> > They come several minutes (at least 5 minutes, as the email is *sent*
> > that much later, and the sent date is set to when the email is sent,
> > not to when the post is made) after the actual message is posted in
> > discourse, I do not care much, I generally read asynchronously as well,
> > but it is sometimes annoying not to be able to establish the real time
> > a post was made.
>
> Oh that's interesting. I'll bring that up. The five minute delay is actually
> a site-wide configuration option: it gives time for the poster to make any
> quick typo fixes, add tags they forgot, etc. before the mail is sent. (The
> default is 10.)
>
> > The only way to know who posted is by looking at the From field, where
> > the description of the notification email address is changed to include
> > the display name of the poster. That is a bit confusing at times.
> >
> > There is no formatting in the mail that tells me who is someone
> > replying to, or which message in the thread it was being replied to (I
> > disabled sending me the whole thread with each notification, I may re-
> > enable it).
>
> Do you have "Include an excerpt of replied to post in emails" checked?
> Does that help?

I have it, it seem it does nothing, as no excerpt is added.

> > The test part so far is otherwise decently rendered, and for image
> > posts it is clear enough that there is something to look at in the html
> > part. *however* the images are not embedded in the email, so all that
> > information is unavailable offline or for archival (and in my
> > configuration requires to actively pull images as I configured my
> > client to not pull 3rd party content automatically for privacy and
> > security reasons).
>
> Reasonably enough. There might be an option to embed images -- I'll look.
> For what it's worth, the images should all (and only) come from the
> dedicated CDN site for our hosting, and there's no linked tracking on our
> side or Discourse's. There's probably logs somewhere, though.

The privacy statement is about why I do not configure my client to
download in general, not referred to discourse specifically.
Point is the image is not embedded, so you need to be online to be able
to pull at all whenever you read the message. It also means if the CDN
removes/renames that content at some point in the future, the message
sitting in my mailbox is now broken.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>