Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 09:38:26AM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> My main trouble with Discourse and other places where I try to help
> people with answers to their questions is that forums promote a drive-by
> questions without further engagement. This experience is opposite to
> what forum proponents are claiming but I see it pretty consistently on
> Discourse, on Stackoverflow sites, on Reddit and in many other places.

I think some of that is natural in any support forum. The same thing happens
on the Fedora Users' mailing list.

> In my area, identity management and authentication, the topics are
> complex enough to want to help others but lack of further engagement
> simply kills any interest to use a particular discussion board. If
> people asking questions aren't interested in getting the answers or even
> tying in the ends for their own questions, it comes hard to keep an
> interest in helping those people again and again.
>
> I can point you to one specific topic on Fedora Discourse as an example:
> https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-login-bug-having-a-128-character-password-breaks-otp-and-will-lock-users-out-of-account/78960

Well, in that case, I think the person was primarily interested in getting
access to their account back, not the underlying bug. Justin helped them
find where to file a ticket, and presumably everything was resolved from
their point of view.

> I would have supposed that someone would follow-up, right? As a
> FreeIPA maintainer in Fedora, as an upstream FreeIPA contributor and a
> contact for security issues, I have never been contacted with either
> details for what the thread claims to happen or never got any follow-up
> on the thread to my comments.

I really don't think that's a _tooling_ issue.

> This is an experience I want to avoid. If this is what Matthew is
> proposing a Fedora development discussions to be, then sorry, this is
> not an improvement.

Well, no. It is not what I am proposing.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>