Re: SPDX Statistics - University of Constantinople edition

On 28. 02. 23 21:40, Jerry James wrote:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 11:37 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On one hand, I think the script should consider commits like this:

"""
Modernize packaging

Remove deprecated macros
Verify license is SPDX
Drop Fedora 28 conditionals
"""

On the other hand, I consider putting "Verified that License tag is valid
SPDX." into a commit with "Use the %gap_arches macro." in the subject chaotic evil.

I don't see how the example above is qualitatively different from the
example I posted.  Mine was also changing an obsolete usage to a
modern one and verifying the license is SPDX.  Why do you think the
two are different?

The example I posted is:

"""
Subject line describing a general thing/goal

A specific thing, part of the same specified goal
A specific thing, part of the same specified goal
A specific thing, part of the same specified goal
"""

The other example is:

"""
Subject line describing a specific thing

Another specific thing, possibly part of the same unspecified goal
"""

Generally, I don't like mixing unrelated changes together in one commit, but I understand that sometimes a single "cleanup" commit gets the job done better than 12 individual 1-line-diff commits.

When a (pseudo) diff of a commit is:

  -foo
  +bar

  -Whatever.(trailing space)
  +Whatever.(no trailing space)

And the commit message is:

"""
Change foo to bar for reasons
"""

...I cringe.

If the message is:

"""
Change foo to bar for reasons

While at it, remove the trailing space elsewhere because my editor deleted it.
"""

...I cringe but I am thankful for at least documenting the unrelated change.

However, in both cases at least I notice the unrelated change in the diff. In my worldview, both are chaotic (read: they violate my imaginary commit-purity O.C.D. rules), but they are not evil (nothing is "hidden"). In the MIT SPDX license case, the "mixed in" change is a no-change, so when looking at the diff we don't notice it, hence I called it "evil".

Hope that makes sense. No judgement intended, I know people have different expectations and habits when it comes to commits (and dist-git commits in particular).
--
Miro Hrončok