Re: FESCo revote on "Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer" Change proposal [was Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)]

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 12:15 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > (In particular, I doubt the _FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 change was really a major
> > consideration here.)
>
> What was, then? That was literally the only thing that has changed between
> the two diametrically different votes.

Speaking for myself, the only way in which the _FORTIFY_SOURCE change
impacted my opinion on -fno-omit-frame-pointers is that it made me
think about it again, and that the level of scrutiny myself - and
other members of FESCo - had given that change, had been
disproportionate. And you might like it or not, I had just changed my
mind on the topic since we had the first vote.

At that point, the only thing that could have convinced me to *not* to
vote for enabling frame pointers would have been substantial arguments
*against* the change from the toolchain team (and by substantial I
mean something more than "the team is against it", "we don't like it",
or "it's going to have a small performance impact"). Given that there
had been *months* for people to speak up, the likelihood of any such
arguments materializing at the last minute is pretty small (and even
then, the change could have been reverted between approval and mass
rebuild, if necessary).

Fabio