Re: FESCo revote on "Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer" Change proposal [was Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)]

On Mon, Jan 9 2023 at 06:54:09 PM +0100, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No one spoke out when the tools team was called untrustworthy on the
FESCo ticket.

That was one of my comments. [1] I should have worded that more carefully, but didn't because I was very frustrated. I apologize. What I meant here is that I strongly disagree with how the members of the toolchain team were evaluating the trade-offs in this issue. Of course I don't believe that you (or any other Fedora contributors) are generally untrustworthy.

[1] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2817#comment-830245

 We can try explain it as an accident that the toolchain
team was sidelined afterwards.  But the overall sequence of events
certainly looks rather odd.

Sounds like everyone agrees the process here did not work very well. The FESCo meeting was held on January 3, which is first day back from holidays for most folks in the US, and probably other countries too. An hour or two before the revote, I was quite worried that I wouldn't be able to contact Christian in time to attend the meeting, since it was 9 AM on first day back in his timezone. Contacting opponents of the change proposal was just not on my radar at all.

Anyway, the good news is there is still two more weeks until the mass rebuild begins, which is plenty of time for continued discussion and for FESCo to cancel the change if desired. So I don't think the outcome here was horribly unfair. I believe FESCo had an appropriate understanding of the considerations involved at the time of the vote: pay a performance price, gain ability to debug performance problems. (In particular, I doubt the _FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 change was really a major consideration here.)

Michael